Thursday, November 6, 2008

Count your blessings...

"LOST
DOG with 3 legs,
Blind in left eye,
Missing right ear,
Tail broken and recently castrated.
Answers to the name of 'Lucky'."
That is one of my favorite quotes from Barbara Johnson's book entitled, "Pain is inevitable but misery is optional...so, stick a geranium in your hat and be happy!" She prefaces the book as such..."We all have to endure troubles in life. Sometimes we may go along for a while with just common irritations and then, WHAM! A big problem hits, and we have a real valley experience. But I believe that you grow in the valleys because that's where all the fertilizer is."

I would have to say that this week has been somewhat of a "valley experience" for me. I found out this past Monday that my current job with Express Scripts will no longer be there at the beginning of the 2009 year. My son Luke has also been fighting off a pretty bad virus since early Tuesday morning, battling a constant fever and vomiting spontaneously, causing him to be bedridden. To top it all off, two shelves, 7 & 1/2 feet long in our master bedroom came crashing down yesterday, spilling all of our possessions onto the floor. Ironically, it was on Brian's side of the closet...go figure? : )


But all in all, I am thankful for these series of events. I am excited to see what the Lord has in store for myself and my profession. I have no doubt that He will watch over us during this time of uncertainty. Also, watching Luke suffer physically has reminded me of how much we take our healthy lives for granted. Another "plus" was that it forced me to stay home and do about 6 loads of laundry : ) And as far as the closet, it was probably a necessary event to make it a cleaning and decluttering project.
Thankfully today, Luke was feeling a little better. He asked for mac-n-cheese for breakfast which I thought was a good sign : )


And of course, our cat Arthur took full advantage of finding another good place to nap...
Thank you God for reminding me to count my blessings!!!

3 comments:

Kari said...

What a great place to be to trust God! Missed you today at MOPS! Glad Luke is feeling better!

a little leprechaun said...

Way to see the positive side of things! Sorry Lukey wasn't feeling good. Hopefully he is on the road to recovery now.

I'm anxious to see what door opens with the job...

Big Hugs from China!!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your job, Grace, but it's just another chance for the Lord to provide for you in a new and different way!

Glad those long days with a sick kiddo are over!