Friday, October 1, 2010

The makings of a Hershey Kiss costume

I wasn't sure how I was going to make Noelle's Halloween costume this year...she requested to be a Hershey Kiss. I thought I could find one on-line, but I didn't have any luck with her available sizes. Thought I would maybe save some $$ and make it myself. Hmm...not sure what I signed myself up for.

So, this is what I used: one birthday party hat, a closet hanger, 3 poster boards, a roll of packaging and duct tape, and then of course...a huge roll of Aluminum foil!
I attempted to unravel the closet hanger in the shape of a circle, big enough to fit over Noelle's head. There was extra hanger left over so I circled it around the frame again and duct taped it together. Next, I took 2 poster boards and configured it into a triangular shape for the front and back of the costume. I made sure that there were fitted tabs to go around the neckline to duct tape down onto the closet hanger. This part took some guesstimating. I made sure, however, that the body template was fitted on Noelle before duct taping it all together.

(please disregard extra face in background :)
Then I cut out a couple of side holes for the arms...
Here's the final body template of the Hershey kiss costume!
Note: I ended up duct taping the inside and outside of the area where the poster boards did not meet on the sides...
The final step: placing double sided packaging tape all over the poster board and then foiling it all over with additional clear tape where necessary...
The "top" of the costume: the finishing touch!
Our little Hershey Kiss!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

So cute!

Dawn said...

awesome costume, Grace! We look forward to seeing her on Halloween!

a little leprechaun said...

Too cool!! Very fun!